Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITHF and net deflectors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> United States Table Hockey Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: ITHF and net deflectors Reply with quote

Hello table hockey enthusiasts. The ITHF has an agenda item for the countries to vote on. It's about whether to allow players to bring a set of net deflectors to tournaments that are part of the ITHF world tour. I've copied the question below.

This does not seem to be much of an issue at many North American tournaments, where net deflectors have been used for years as a matter of course. I believe players have always reserved the right to not use them if they don't like them.

As to the ITHF question, it seems somewhat odd to me that an individual player could bring them. That would seem to maybe be an advantage over the rest of the field. But I guess maybe there's some resistance in Europe, so it's a baby step for them?

Anyway, your thoughts are welcome before we have to vote as the USA....and maybe the discussion helps Canada get feedback on how they'll vote too, since there are players from both countries who visit the message boards.

What do y'all think?

Best, Eric

The proposal of Bjarne Axelsen to the table hockey playing rules about possibility to use a puck deflector.

Option A . 2.5. A player is allowed to put a puck deflector in the opponents goal.

Option B. 2.5 A player is allowed to put a puck deflector in the opponents goal. In this case this player must give the possibility to use the deflector also for his opponent, having the second similar deflector for him.

Please make your choice (A/B or No).

###
Bjarne
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: The right to use puck deflectors Reply with quote

A short comment:

Yes, there is in some countries for some reason a great resistance towards the use of puck deflectors.

It is simply unrealistic that these countries will buy deflectors for all the games.

Therefore my recommendation to the world is to vote for option B.

This will allow a player to use this great tool which is preventing many in-and-outs and moreover option B is a fair one cause it also gives the opponent the right to use a puck deflector in the same match.
The man who wants to use the deflector will simply bring 2 deflectors of the same type.

In this way it is equal rights for both players.
Though if the opponent do not want to use a deflector he/she cannot be forced to use this tool.

You are right that this problem does not exist in Northern America.
Though I would be very glad if you would vote and in this way help the rest of the world to develope.

This is a step in the right direction.

Bjarne
TheStein
Sophmore
Sophmore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should a player who wants to use a deflector have to supply one for his opponent. If the opponent feels it gives such an unfair advantage, perhaps he/she should buy their own. Why is it unrealistic for countries to buy deflectors for their tournaments. They don't break or go bad. It becomes a one time expense that will bring positive results for years to come. They aren't that much to purchase and I'm sure Paul Ruiz who sells them, could benefit from the buisness.

I would strongly suggest to the USTHA to vote option A.

Steve Bernstein
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too - if a player feels strongly about wanting a deflector, he can bring one for himself. If his opponent wants one, likewise.

I can't imagine why a player would want one only if his opponent has one. If he finds it hinders his game (i.e., he tends to put it top corner, making them "reflectors"), he'll want to skip it regardless.

Option A seems the most straightforward to me.
JohnCooke
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do some research but why make an informed comment?
I am guessing that deflectors are sold in pairs?
ReggieJ44
CTHA Western Rep
CTHA Western Rep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question to consider. There are different types of deflectors - I prefer Lyle Knittig's older version, some players may prefer his new version, his half-versions or Paul Ruiz' version.
What would be done in that case? Could I use one version and the other player use another version? Or would we both have to use the same version? Would the organiser decide?

Reggie Stefaniszyn ETHL
JohnCooke
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry boys the Association has a team of lawyers working on this even as we speak, but levity aside ...

I think a key is the phrase "second similar deflector for him" so I would guess you could use two different brands/designs on one game?

Again I hope you guys know I will listen to you. Whatever way the wind blows, thats where I will set my sails. But personally I think the wording of A is pretty straight forward. I like the spirit of Option B, I would just seek some clarity.

What if you want model A and buddy demands you provide model B? It seems to put the onus a player instead of the organizer?

What if he is a her?

And is there a significant portion of players that don't like deflectors? I rarely hear anybody complain. (about deflectors that is)

Wade in kids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> United States Table Hockey Association All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: