Official ACTHF Forum
Official CTHA Forum
Official USTHA Forum

Donations Menu
Sponsors
Donate Here
Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index Table Hockey Heaven
Table Hockey Fourms

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITHF News
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> United States Table Hockey Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: ITHF News Reply with quote

Bjarne Axelsen of Denmark announced today that he will step down as International Table Hockey Federation president on Sept. 12.

In his note, Bjarne described the unpaid job this way:

A president of ITHF must in my opinion be realistic, have a lot of patience, have the ability to regard things from a neutral point-of-view and act in this way, be able to communicate with both big and small nations and not use the power for personal benefits.

I think Bjarne exemplified all of those traits while ably serving as ITHF president.

Bjarne had to deal with many countries that had different interests and competing and vocal points of view, and that could not have been easy. But he handled issues fairly and honestly and tried to keep everybody calm in a hobby/sport that sometimes gets overheated.

For North America, this is a big loss. Bjarne advocated strongly for tournaments in the USA and Canada and he also backed that up by flying over here to compete in many events.

Bjarne requested an election to find his successor. We'll post details when they become available. Perhaps a candidate from the USA or Canada will throw their name into the mix?

I am glad to hear Bjarne will still be involved playing table hockey and wish him the best.

Sincerely,
Eric
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all.

So we'll try to post ITHF news that comes across the transom in this thread so it's in one spot.

Today's post: the logo for the World Club Championship tournament has been released by the Table Hockey Federation of Saint-Petersburg.

For table hockey clubs who have some dough, you can travel to Russia for this tournament on May 12, 2012.

Here's the logo:

And here is the explanation of the logo from the folks in Saint Pete...

The main character of the logo is an energetic captain of the table hockey team, which is demonstrated by white bandage on the sleeve of his uniform. Three directive pins which are logically passing into three hockey sticks symbolize the table hockey. These sticks together with captain’s stick express the team spirit of the competition, because according to WCC rules four players from the same club play simultaneously in the game.

The format of the table hockey, the logo of STIGA company, is represented on the captain’s helmet. The puck flying from the upper side indicates the preparing start of the game.

There are practically no closed spaces – it allows the player to be free in making the decision. Yellow and orange flags from the left and the right sides add conviviality both to the logo and to the event. And, of course, the ship which is the world-famous symbol of Saint-Petersburg is traditionally present on the logo!

Welcome to Saint-Petersburg for the World Club Championship!

Kirill Storchak
Saint-Petersburg Tablehockey Federation

Secretary General of ITHF
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: ITHF vote coming up Reply with quote

Hello all. Received an e-mail from the International Table Hockey Federation about a vote that is coming up the week of Sept. 4. (While I'm writing this primarily for USA folks, but to answer a potential question ahead of time, yes Canada also gets a vote.)

This is a proposal from ITHF President Bjarne Axelsen, who feels very strongly about it.

Still sorting it out, but wanted to get the info out there since there's a vote by the nations coming up. At a quick read, it doesn't seem like it impacts any tournaments in North America. Just the two big ones in Europe. The gist seems to be to advance more players to the top group in the playoffs.

2.3.1 Playing System in international championships

(World Championships in uneven years and European Championships in even years)

In the open competition of World Championships and European Championships 64 players are promoting to the final divisions which are being played as two final divisions with 32 players in each of these divisions.

Players promoting to a final division from the same basic group do not have to play against each other again.

Tournament organizer may decide that mutual matches in this case will be counted.

From each final division with 32 players the 12 best players will promote to play off (best of 7).

Play off will be played like this:
(A and B is referring to the two different final divisions)

In the brackets the first round of play off.
Number 1 to 4 from each final division will enter in the 2nd round of play off.

1A - (8B - 9A)

4B - (5A - 12B)

3A - (6B - 11A)

2B - (7A - 10B)

-------------------------

2A - (7B - 10A)

3B - (6A - 11B)

4A - (5B - 12A)

1B - (8A - 9B)
JohnCooke
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Eric. If I understand this correctly it opens up the competition. Which sounds fine by me.

But again, I am willing to listen.
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: ITHF statement, Sept. 2012 Reply with quote

Hello all. Just received this statement from the ITHF this morning. Figured some folks might be interested to read the goings-on...

ITHF EC Statement
22nd of September 2012.

Thank you very much to 11 out of 12 member associations with voting rights for voting in the Extraordinary Delegates Conference of ITHF, Autumn 2012.

I appreciate very much that the member federations are expressing their opinions by being an active part of the delegates conferences.

Future World Championships and European Championships:
In the future annual international championship 64 players will get the opportunity to play in the final divisions.

Moreover there will be an extra round of play off since 24 players will now advance to play off.

The organizers of Riga Open – one of the best arranged World Tours the last seasons – have decided to try this system in one of the Grand Slams – WTHT Big6 tournaments – in this season.

It is great to see that some of the organizers of the biggest and most prestigious tournaments are ready to try something new and in this way present new ideas for a big part of the tablehockey community. Thank You!

The president seat and more changes:

I have decided to continue as the president of ITHF at least until May 2013 where we will have the ordinary delegates conference 2013 with the election of a new Executive Committee of ITHF and elections of the hosts of European Championships 2014 and World Championships 2015.

Later this season I will publish other ideas concerning time schedule and tournament system in European and World Championships in future and then the member federations are going to vote about this in April/May 2013.

The main reason for this is to have a clear structure for the future championships instead of the returning discussions with the organizer before every international championship.

Evaluation of ad payment for ITHF WTHT:

This season the tournaments belonging to ITHF World Table Hockey Tour will be evaluated with a points system which has been sent to you before.

The purpose is to help every organizer to make the best possible tournaments.

I hope you will receive this in a positive way and you are off course very welcome to ask questions concerning the evaluation procedure.

We would like to remind you that a federation is paying 15 Euro for their 1st WTHT and 30 Euro for their 2nd WTHT. Please be aware of this.

Saturday the 22nd of September 2012.
On behalf of the Executive Committee of ITHF
Bjarne Axelsen (president)
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News that admittedly may have a limited audience...potential change to the next Swedish Masters, which is scheduled for Feb. 2, 2013.

Bjarne Axelsen tells ITHF member nations that he's received a mail from the Swedish Table Hockey Federation (SBHF) where they explain that they need to move Swedish Masters 2013 away from Stockholm because of organizing problems.

They are not totally sure about the exact venue - and city - yet.

So...if you're thinking about heading to this major measuring stick tournament early next year, there you have it. If I get some more info, will post a follow-up.
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody.

Here's a video message from ITHF President Bjarne Axelsen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FINiymwi8U

It's 12 minutes long. And festive...holiday decorations. He talks about his perspective on 2012 and lays out some suggestions for 2013.

Eric
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

There are a bunch of votes coming up for each nation on International Table Hockey Federation (Stiga) issues. I've included the agenda at the bottom of this post. There are two rounds of voting.

A summary, based on what I understand about this:

*Bjarne wants to change the ITHF structure from its current setup to an executive board with specific duties. I guess he's tired of having to shoulder most of the burden. That's my read of it, from other e-mails he's sent out over the past year or so.

*There's a new position on the ITHF executive committee called "Minister of North America" or something like that. Jim Rzonca plans on stepping down from the ITHF. Some leaders of the Canadian Table Hockey Association suggested that I would be a good candidate for this job. I plan to run, if the USTHA board will nominate me.

*I plan to vote against Bjarne's motion to charge as an ITHF sanctioning fee the cost of one foreign player. Right now, I think the USTHA has to pay an average of $30 per World Tour tournament (the individual organizers pick up this cost). This would increase that amount, unless organizers dropped fees for foreign players, which I'm not sure how fair that would be to the US and Canadian players.

Without further ado, here's the agenda:

ITHF Delegates Conference 2013
Motions

Every member of the Executive Committee of ITHF is elected directly by the Delegates Conference.

Elections of ITHF bodies are affected by simple majority.

The Delegates Conference is electing 5 people to the Executive Committee; The President, The Secretary General, The Supervisor of Rules and Regulations, The Manager of World Tour and international championships and The Continental Manager in Northern America.
Every member federation is having one vote in every voting round.
The candidate with the highest number of votes is elected to the seat.
If there is more than one candidate with the highest number of votes a new voting round will be organized with the candidates with the highest number of votes.

This continues until there is only two candidates with the same number of votes.

If two candidates get the same number of votes in two consecutive voting rounds a draw will be organized to decide the election.

This draw will take place to the next international championship or next WTHT Big6.

The Ordinary Delegates Conference is organized between March and May in uneven years.

Payment to ITHF from the season 2013/2014:
Every organizer of a tournament belonging to ITHF WTHT is paying the same amount of money to ITHF as one (1) foreign adult player is paying for participating in the particular tournament.

When a national federation is applying for a tournament belonging to ITHF WTHT they agree to pay this fee to ITHF.

ITHF must inform the national federations about this when sending the official mail asking for national federations to apply for tournaments belonging to ITHF WTHT.

Time Schedule for the Delegates Conference of ITHF 2013

1st round (from 15th of April 2013 - 21st of April 2013 at 23:59:59 CET)

Electing the host of World Championships 2015
Voting about new structure of the Executive Committee of ITHF
Voting about other proposed motions

2nd round (from 22nd of April 2013 - 28th of April 2013 at 23:59:59 CET)

Electing the host of European Championships 2014
Electing members of the Executive Committee of ITHF
Electing members of the Legal Committee of ITHF

###
JohnCooke
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Mr. International. You heard it here, Eric would be awesome.

Where I differ from Eric's view is re the fees. This is contrary to my usual stand on such things, but it was pitched to me as "Just the cost of one player" I was also under the understanding that for NA this cost would not go up.

So you could charge $15 per entry and only owe the ITHF $15. For that $15 you can use the World Tour Logo. Using that logo could attract more players. Who is to say?

It's like a colorized black and white movie. If you don't like it you can turn off the color.
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update from the ITHF...the voting session outlined below will be delayed. My understanding is they have a rule that requires the specific wording of the questions to be voted on to be sent out by the secretary general. The questions have not gone out in time for that to happen. More details as I get them, for those who may care. Smile

The Ordinary Delegates Conference is organized between March and May in uneven years.

Every organizer of a tournament belonging to ITHF WTHT is paying the same amount of money to ITHF as one (1) foreign adult player is paying for participating in the particular tournament.

When a national federation is applying for a tournament belonging to ITHF WTHT they agree to pay this fee to ITHF.

ITHF must inform the national federations about this when sending the official mail asking for national federations to apply for tournaments belonging to ITHF WTHT.

Time Schedule for the Delegates Conference of ITHF 2013

1st round (from 15th of April 2013 - 21st of April 2013 at 23:59:59 CET)

Voting about new structure of the Executive Committee of ITHF
Voting about other proposed motions

2nd round (from 22nd of April 2013 - 28th of April 2013 at 23:59:59 CET)

Electing the host of European Championships 2014
Electing members of the Executive Committee of ITHF
Electing members of the Legal Committee of ITHF

###
Bjarne
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Payment could depend on future leadership Reply with quote

Concerning payment to ITHF:

I have still not decided totally about my future in ITHF yet.
There is a debate going on between some candidates with - I would say - very different point-of-views.
I will make my final decision the coming week.
If I´ll continue I´m pretty sure it would be possible to remove any payment to ITHF in the season 2013/2014 cause then I will find a danish sponsor for the WTHT Trophy which is more or less the only thing I see ITHF needs money for - unless some people want to start giving salary to the members of ITHF.
I do not believe salary to the members of ITHF is a right way to go.

In other words:
There is a possability that payment from every member federation would be nothing in 2013/2014.
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. For those interested in International Table Hockey Federation news, here are the latest results from the nations voting on various proposals. This was the "1st Round."

Summary (ITHF Delegates Conference 2013 )
1st round : 29th of April – 5th of May 2013 at 23:59:59 CET.
2nd round : 13th of May – 19th of May 2013 at 23:59:59 CET.
3rd round : 21st of May – 26th of May 2013 at 23:59:59 CET.

Every member of the Executive Committee of ITHF is elected directly by the the Delegates Conference.
The result : YES-NO = 11-0 (The motion is approved)
Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine and USA voted yes.

Elections of ITHF bodies are affected by simple majority.
Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine and USA voted yes.

The Delegates Conference is electing 5 people to the Executive Committee; The President, The Secretary General, The Supervisor of Rules and Regulations, The Manager of World Tour and international championships and The Continental Manager in Northern America.
Every member federation is having one vote in every voting round.
The candidate with the highest number of votes is elected to the seat.
If there is more than one candidate with the highest number of votes a new voting round will be organized with the candidates with the highest number of votes.
This continues until there is only two candidates with the same number of votes.
If two candidates get the same number of votes in two consecutive voting rounds a draw will be organized to decide the election.
This draw will take place to the next international championship or next WTHT Big6.

The Ordinary Delegates Conference is organized between 1st of March and 31st of May in uneven years.
The result : YES-NO = 8-2 (The motion is approved)
Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine voted yes.
Slovenia and USA voted no.

Suggestion from Ukraine (national transfers):
The result : YES-NO = 2-8 (The motion is not approved)
Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland and USA voted no.
Russia and Ukraine voted yes.

The result : 11 votes for St. Petersburg which is the host of World Championships 2015.

###
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some news from the ITHF for those playing in the World Championships next month:

(Sorry, the charts did not reproduce here.)

Dear national member federations

Here is important information about the playing format to World Championships 2013.

If you are having any questions then do not hesitate to contact Bjørn Hagerup Høken. He can be reached at hitmebabyonemoretime@gmail.com

Open
We estimate around 100 participants in the OPEN category. The tournament will have the following steps:

1. Basic Groups
2. Final Groups/Placement Groups
3. Play Off

1. The basic groups will consist of four groups of around 25 players. The top 16 from each basic group advance to the two final groups. The players will not bring any points with them to the final groups. The rest of the players will advance to the B and C groups as showed below:

2. Top 12 of each final group advance to the play-off as decided on the Delegates Conference 2012.

3. Below is a play-off tree to show who will meet who from the different groups.

Ladies, Veteran and Junior
The rest of the individual tournaments will be planned in the end of may when we know how many participant there is in the different categories. There is two different scenarios similar to the format used in Turku 2011.

Under 20 participants
1. One Basic Group
2. Play-Off

Over 20 participants
1. Multiple Basic Groups
2. Final Group and Placement Groups
3. Play-Off

Team Competitions
The Team competitions will all be played with the following steps:
1. Basic Groups
2. Play-Off
The number og Basic Groups depend on the amount of teams.
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's a summary of how that voting went. The upshot is that Bjarne won another term over Kirill of Russia and the gentleman from Slovenia defeated Kirill's running mate from Russia.

The next round of voting, I believe, is two Euro-centric issues on the cities that have applied to host Club championships. In both cases, there is only one option.

Summary (ITHF Delegates Conference 2013 2nd round)
2nd round : 13th of May – 19th of May 2013.

Electing members of Executive Committee

The President candidate, Bjarne Axelsen (Denmark) : Elected
Votes: 8 (Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, USA)
The President candidate, Kirill Storchak (Russia) :
Votes: 3 (Canada, Russia, Ukraine)

The Secretary General, Bernard Skrlep (Slovenia) : Elected
Votes: 7 (Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Slovenia, Switzerland, USA)
The Secretary General, Mark Gorodnitskij (Russia) :
Votes: 4 (Canada, Russia, Sweden, Ukraine)

The Supervisor of Rules & Regulations, Espen Moe (Norway) : Elected
Votes: 11 (Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Norway, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, USA)

The Director of International Championships, Martin Arenlind (Sweden): Elected
Votes: 12 (Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Norway, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, USA)

The Continental Manager, Northern America, Eric Krol (USA) : Elected
Votes: 12 (Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Norway, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, USA)

Electing members of Legal Committee
The candidate, Intars Zubeckis (Latvia) : Elected

The candidate, Marko Curkovic (Croatia) : Elected
Votes: 11 (Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Norway, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, USA)

The candidate, Rolf Locher (Switzerland) : Elected

Electing the host of World Club Championships 2014
The result: Brno, Czech Republic has won the World Club Championships 2014

YES to Brno, Czech Republic : 11
(Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Norway, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, USA)
NO to Brno, Czech Republic : 0

Deadline for Qualification to championships through WTHT
The result : The motion is approved.
YES : 10
(Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Norway, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, USA)
NO : 1
(Czech Republic)

###
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clarification. Here's what the nations will be voting on next in the ITHF:

The voting in the 3rd round of ITHF DC 2013 is about either Euro 2014 or ITHF Masters 2014.

European Championships 2014:
Only for players from Europe
10 players can participate from every European country.

ITHF Masters 2014:
For all table hockey nations

The best nations in World Ranking will receive 4 spots (number 1-4), the 2nd best countries will receive 3 spots (number 5-Cool............. nations from 13-18 will receive 1 spots each (Hungary, Croatia, Switzerland, Canada, USA and Lithuania).

Moreover it will be possible to apply for extra wildcards - if necessary.

In other words:

The voting is between either European Championships 2014, ITHF Masters 2014 or none of these tournaments.
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Games to 9 goals? Reply with quote

So the vote turned out to continue with the European championships as is.

There was an interesting topic in the discussion...Denmark had offered to host a tournament called the ITHF Masters to replaced the European Championship.

Denmark was talking about a playing system where each match would be up to 9 goals instead of timed 5 minutes. So you'd need to score 9 to win, not just hang on for five minutes.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this. My gut reaction was that it seems like an easier system to do for a league night than a large tournament. Denmark acknowledged that the games took 5-15 minutes and an average of 11 minutes.

What do you think about this concept?

Eric
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically I use a first-to-5 format when practising.

The immediate benefit, for practice, is that there's no need for a five-second clock. It's just for practice, so whoever's on attack can take time to set up their new experiments, take a sip of tea, point out advice to a less experienced player on where to put defending bonhommes, etc.

I don't like the idea in a for-points game, because the time pressure adds something extra. Especially in a tournament where the organizers have to be able to schedule round-robin times. If a round-robin game takes 20 minutes, both players end up missing all scheduled breaks the rest of the way. Too capricious.
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: 2013-14 World Tour and North American Tour note Reply with quote

The last tour year of the International Table Hockey Federation has just concluded and the organization already has posted the calendar for the 2013-14 tour year. You can see it here:

http://www.ithf.info/stiga/ithf/index.aspx

It includes dates for the U.S. Open in Chicago, CCC in Edmonton, Canada Cup in Toronto, Las Vegas (tentative date), North American Championships in Detroit, and CSM in Montreal.

In North American Tour news, we're waiting to hear if there will be a Binghamton event in the 2013-14 season. We regret to report that there will not be a tournament in Southern California. And we're awaiting word from the Pittsburgh/OVTHL crew on their plans for a new tournament. They've talked about May 1 as a date.

There's one last event on the North American Tour for 2012-13 season: this Sunday in Madison, WI.

###
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Edgars Caics, who won the Latvia Open on Saturday. He defeated Atis Silis in the finals in a 7-game series. Looks like 96 players.

Results here: http://www.galdahokejs.lv/index.php/en/lo-en/2013/live
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Twitter Reply with quote

Hey hey hey.

We've revived the ITHF Twitter feed. We're trying to post something every day or two, more when live events are going on. Please follow us if you're on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ITHFtablehockey

And while we're at it...

The USTHA Twitter feed is here: https://twitter.com/USTableHockey

And there's https://twitter.com/CTHAPresCooke for your North of the Border flavor.
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITHF President Bjarne Axelsen has posted his 2013 speech. It is nearly 12 minutes long. He offers his views on various topics. The first 5:30 or focuses on tournament organization changes that he likes. Next, he talks about the role of the ITHF and the most recent World Championships in Norway and how well it went. Then about coming changes to the World Ranking. Martin Arenlind, the father of the WR, is back to make some tweaks to fine tune things. Lots of emails on this topic from the nations and ITHF Exec Committee and changes will be announced on the ITHF web site.

I think I spied a couple of Stiga Las Vegas trophies in his trophy case (that famous Vegas sign logo).

You can view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSjoRwMaffI&feature=youtu.be
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: World Ranking update Reply with quote

Hello everyone. The ITHF World Ranking has been overhauled and updated. http://stiga.trefik.cz/ithf/ranking/index.aspx

Martin Arenlind, a Swedish player who has an electrical engineering degree and good at math, is the father of the World Ranking. He has come back to take it over and update the formula. He has spend untold hours working on this...it's a pretty big job.

I'll post Martin's message below, but I believe the new ranking system probably has helped boost the standing of USA and Canadian players somewhat. Five tournaments are now counted instead of four. Also new are the US and Canadian Stiga league playoff tournaments counting a bit more than a regular league night. I can attempt to answer questions and if I don't know the answer I'll try to get one for you.

Here is a message he posted today on the World Ranking home page:

The last months the Executive Committee of ITHF has discussed how to improve the ITHF World Ranking.

We decided to involve the national member federations by giving them a chance to express their opinion in a survey. Thank you to all the people who have expressed their opinion.

We are aware of the fact that the ITHF World Ranking is loved by many people and there are many opinions about this topic. Based upon knowledge about how the system is working and great feedback from the member federations the majority of ITHF has agreed about how to improve the ITHF World Ranking from the 1st of January 2014.

The ITHF member federations were informed about the changes on December 21st.

The changes in the ranking system are:

1. Remove inflation and make sure players get points for performing instead of travelling
Tournament coefficients are changed from (1.00, 0.99, 0.98, 0.90, 0.70, 0.40)
to (0.96, 0.92, 0.89, 0.83, 0.60, 0.40)
This also means reduced difference between World Tour and National ranking tournaments.

2. Modified definition of series levels
See chapter 2.2 in WR explanation document for details.

3. Ranking is recalculated from the beginning of time to get rid of the inflation.
However, the ranking history is not affected, it is just the tournaments that changes.
If a player was #1 in 2005, he still is.

4. Winning a tournament gives 10 extra points

5. Tournaments are not out of the ranking after 2 years. They are phased out gradually.
After 2 years they lose 20% of their value.
After this, they lose 20% every year.
After 6 years, they are completely out.

6. Player value is either the players best current result, or 80% of the players best ever result.
This means that returning players has a value that are closer to their playing level.

7. 5 tournaments are counted instead of 4.
This makes the ranking a little more active also in the top.

Best regards,
ITHF Executive Committee
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Swedish Masters tournament is going on in conjunction with the IIHF World Juniors ice hockey event in Malmo.

Results seem to be here: http://www.bordshockey.net/tavlingar/tavlingar.asp?TID=1795&tno=1&stage=2&from=1&to=68
EricK
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: ITHF President Newsletter, vol Reply with quote

Hello all. This is from Bjarne Axelsen, the ITHF president...gives an update on some ITHF issues being discussed and where his mind is at these days....Best, Eric

Dear national member federation:

As a new thing in 2014 I will once in a while publish a newsletter from the President of ITHF.

The newsletter will contain my view upon things combined with the knowledge I get from tablehockey people all around the world and the input I receive when talking to people from different countries.

The content is not necessarily the official opinion of the Executive Committee of ITHF.
Off course this is what I will fight for in ITHF.
As ITHF is made the president is 1 out of 5 and majority is always deciding.

This time the newsletter is mainly about Swedish Masters 2014 and ITHF World Table Hockey Tour.

Swedish Masters 2014:

Excellent tournament organized at the same place as Ice Hockey World Junior Championships 2014.
Many spectators from ice hockey stepped by and watched tablehockey as a sport.
The final was played on a stage in the Fan Zone which was absolutely awesome.
Two big screens where all spectators could sit down and see what happened.
Great tournament system where every point was important.
44 players promoted to the final divisions and 32 promoted to play off.
Excellent prize ceremony with music and interviews like in many other sports.
This is in my opinion how ITHF World Table Hockey Tour Big 6 should always look like!

More players in play off:

32 players entered the play off zone.
It makes me very glad to see more and more organizers giving the play off chance to more players.
Play off is very friendly for spectators and medias and where real battles are taking place.
More than 16 players in a tournament with 100 players should off course have this chance.
(Riga, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Swedish Masters are great examples - thank you!).

Face off (Game Rule 5.3):

In ITHF E.C. we will discuss the face off rule in one of our future meetings.
80% of all players are entering the central circle before they are allowed to enter it.
In the past years I have tried to debate this with people but normally people end up being angry.
Either we must change the face off rule or we must start to teach our players about this rule.
I think I won 5% of my face offs this weekend because I really tried to respect this rule.
We have a challenge here.
Let me hear opinions about this rule from your federation (Game Rule 5.3)

ITHF World Table Hockey Tour (ITHF WTHT) in future:

What demands can we put on organizers of tournaments belonging to ITHF WTHT?
What demands can we put on organizers of tournaments belonging to ITHF WTHT B6?

We need to find out how the different national federations are looking upon ITHF WTHT.
What do you want from the ITHF WTHT?
Many demands - No demands - or somewhere in between?

Can we accept that the play off zone is looking like a mess?
Must we ask the organizers to make a party out of play off and re-organize the tournament venue?

For me the ITHF WTHT is the finest collection of tournaments and ITHF WTHT B6 the top of it.

Minimum demands to ITHF WTHT B6:

It should be possible for everyone to watch exactly the play off match they want.
It should be possible to watch a match without fighting about 3-4 seats in front of the table.
Live www-update from every stage of the tournament.
Publishing final standings like in Riga (as soon as a final placement is known).
Complete information about tournament system, venue etc. 6 weeks before a tournament.
Pre-defined tournament system for different number of players (60, 80, 100, 120, 140, 160, etc.)
Free water supply

Minimum demands to ITHF WTHT:

Live www-update during play off
Publishing final standings in webpage or in ITHF WTHT Facebook-site at least 2 hours after the tournament.
Complete information about tournament system, venue etc. 6 weeks before the tournament.
ITHF E.C. should define a minimum number of participants the season before in order to apply for a tournament belonging to ITHF WTHT.

Please read and think about your own opinion. In ITHF E.C. we are going to debate some of these topics in spring 2014 so I appreciate your opinion about things in a direct mail instead of writing it somewhere in a message board.

Remember that we do not know your opinion unless you tell us about it Smile

Best regards
Bjarne Axelsen
President
sklump
2nd Team All Star
2nd Team All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all very convenient for the specators, and remote viewers.

As long as we don't lose the focus that tournaments should be first and foremost about providing the best experience for the players.

Just my two cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Table Hockey Heaven Forum Index -> United States Table Hockey Association All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: